Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
For the Cupcakes...
220 g Plain Flour (Approx 7 3/4 oz)
160 g Light Brown Sugar (5 1/2 oz)
Dr. Oetker Fine Dark Cocoa Powder (x1 sachet or 25g)
Dr. Oetker Baking Powder Sachet (x1 sachet or 5g)
1 g Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda Sachet(x1 sachet or 7g)
200 ml Milk (Use either Dairy or Soy milk)
90 ml Vegetable Oil (6 tbsp)
5 ml Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract (1 tsp)
5 ml White Wine Vinegar (1 tsp)
Dr. Oetker Chocolate Easy Swirl Cupcake Icing (Vanilla, Chocolate and Pink)
Dr. Oetker Coloured Ready to Roll Regal-Ice (Enough for the cupcake decorations)
about 5 g Dr. Oetker Regal-Ice Ready to Roll Icing Ivory (Enough for the cupcake decorations)
about 1 g Dr. Oetker Sugar Strands (And other sprinkles and decorations of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix all the liquid ingredients in a large measuring jug and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Use a whisk to thoroughly mix the two together. The batter will glossy and quite thick.
- Fill the cases with the batter - about halfway up. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Then cool the cupcakes completely before decorating.
- To decorate, ask the children to draw up some ideas first – they can have a lot of fun coming up with scary monster faces!
- Frost the cupcakes using the Easy Swirl Cupcake Icing and then add your monster face details. Use the various nozzles supplied for different effects. Try on a plate first before icing the cupcakes. The icing can be smoothed with a knife and then given a texture using a fork to make it look like fur.
- Soften the Coloured Ready to Roll Icing in your hands and then roll out and cut to shape with a blunt knife to create any flat elements (such as teeth). To create circles use bottle lids to cut out the icing. Roll into balls to create noses and eyes. Add smaller dots of contrasting icing to create details such as pupils for the eyes. Next roll some icing into sausage shapes, pinch the end and make the base more rounded to create little horns. Use scissors or a fork to create texture as desired. Use your imagination – some cupcakes only have one eye while others several!
- To finish decorating your Monster Cupcakes, use chocolate buttons and White Chocolate Chips to create eyes and why not try strawberry laces to create red hair!
- Your Monster cupcakes are now ready to serve and enjoy!