Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 18 minutes
Portions: Makes 12
Skill Level: Easy
- 175g self raising flour
- 150g plain white flour
- 125g butter, unsalted
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 125ml milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 200g cream cheese softened
- 100g butter, unsalted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g icing sugar
- In a small bowl, using an electric hand-whisk at medium speed, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and continue beating until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour in three stages, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake papers, filling them about three quarters full. Bake in the pre heated oven for 18 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- Ice the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
- In a bowl, using a wooden spoon or electric hand whisk, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract and gradually beat in the icing sugar until the mixture is fluffy.
- Using a small palette knife, smooth the frosting over the cupcakes. You can also use the knife to create small spikes. Decorate with sugar beads or flowers or sweets.
For more recipe information and baking inspiration visit www.bakingmad.com