Tofu Croquettes with Cranberry Sauce
Tofu is a great source of calcium and iron. Due to its protein content, eating tofu can also help you feel fuller whilst consuming fewer calories!
Try these easy fried patties with a quick homemade cranberry sauce.
Ingredients (serves 4): For the tofu croquettes
1 onion, chopped
2 Carrots, grated
1 Stick celery, chopped
1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
Approx. 2 tbsp wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 Tsp mixed dried herbs
Seasoning, to taste
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the cranberry sauce:
1 Large onion, chopped
30g/1oz Wholemeal flour
140ml/¼ Pint water
140ml/¼ Pint orange juice
115g/4oz Fresh cranberries (or frozen equivalent)
- To make the tofu croquettes, use your hands to mix together the first seven ingredients.
The result should be a soft dough. Add just enough breadcrumbs to make this hold together, and flavour to taste with herbs, soya sauce and seasoning.
- Divide the dough into eight small balls, flatten them, and shallow-fry quickly for a few minutes on each side, taking care when you turn them. (For a firmer texture add some soya flour or egg substitute.)
- Arrange them side by side in a small oven-proof dish to be reheated in the oven when needed.
If you intend to freeze them, let them cool completely, then cover before doing so.
- For the cranberry sauce, melt the margarine and fry the onion briefly, then cover the pan
and cook gently for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in the flour and cook for just a minute before adding the water and orange juice
and bringing to the boil. Continue stirring and simmer gently until the sauce thickens.
Add the cranberries and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the cranberries are tender.
- If liked, you can season the sauce with salt and pepper, or add a little sugar instead.
If necessary, add a drop more water or orange juice to make it pour more easily.
- Serve the tofu croquettes with the cranberry sauce in a small jug.
For more information visit BBC Food