Quorn Sausage Paella
This Spanish Quorn paella recipe is a low fat, meat free fiesta!
Fun Food Fact: 'Paella' takes its name from the pan it is cooked in, which in turn comes from the Latin word for ‘pan’ or ‘dish.’
|1 pack Quorn Meat Free Standard Sausages,
defrosted if using frozen
Low calorie oil spray
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
400g fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
200g thin green beans
250g long grain rice
1½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp saffron
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mild chilli powder
To garnish - 1 lemon cut into wedges & olives
- Warm a pan and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Cut each sausage into bite-sized chunks and fry until golden 3-4 minutes, reserve.
- Fry the onions and garlic in low calorie oil spray, gently until soft and golden, add a little water if the onions start to stick to the pan. Add the peppers and fry for a further 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, beans and peas and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add the rice, paprika, saffron, turmeric, chilli, lemon zest and juice stir well.
- Stir in the stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Sir in the Quorn sausage pieces, continue simmering for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is tender adding more liquid if required.
- Season to taste, sprinkle over the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges and olives.