Layered Birthday Cake
This colourful Layer Cake has been made with Dr. Oetker Gel Food Colours on a pale cake batter to make the most beautiful and vibrant shades.
For the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4). Line the bottom and sides of five, loose bottomed 20cm (8inch) diameter Victoria sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- In a large, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff (for best results use a stand mixer with whisk attachment). Add the Cream of Tartar, half of the sugar and the Madagascan Vanilla Extract. Whisk until thick and glossy.
- Sift in the flour and remaining sugar into the mixture in 4 batches, folding in gently after each addition, until well combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between 5 bowls. Add a Gel Food Colour to each bowl to achieve desired colour level. Carefully fold in the Gel Food Colour and spoon the mixture into the tins. Green: 20g (10ml, 2 tsp or 1 tube) Blue: 15g (15ml, 1tbsp or 1 ½ tubes) Yellow: 5g (5ml, 1 tsp or ½ tube) Red: 3.5g (3.5ml, 1 ½ tsp) Red to make pink: 20 drops (1g)
- Smooth the tops and bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 14 minutes until just firm to the touch and very lightly browned. Carefully turn on to a wire rack to cool completely.
To serve, place the butter in a mixing bowl and gradually sieve in the icing sugar. Stir in the Natural Vanilla Extract and mix in the soft cheese. Mix well to make a smooth, creamy, spreadable filling. Spread 4 layers of sponge with sufficient filling to just cover and sandwich together. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.