Jumbo Sausage Roll & Beans
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 400g sausagemeat, or pack of 8 sausages, squeezed from their skins
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 300g jar hot salsa dip
- 1 egg, beaten
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry sheet
- 3 x 400g cans cannellini or haricot beans (or a mixture), drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment or foil. In a large bowl, mix together the sausage meat, herbs, half the salsa and roughly half the egg until well combined.
- Unroll the pastry sheet on your baking tray. Pile the sausage mixture onto one side of the pastry – along the longer side – leaving a gap of 4cm around the edge. Brush a little of the egg around the edges, then fold the pastry over the filling. Press the edges together with a fork and score a few air holes through the top with a knife (to let steam escape). Brush with the remaining egg and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tip the beans, tomatoes, remaining salsa and some seasoning into a saucepan and cover with a lid. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce is thick and clings to the beans. To serve, scatter the beans with the chilli and serve with slices of sausage roll.
For more recipes visit www.bbcgoodfood.com