Gluten Free Carrot Cake
Junior cook Emily shares her simple, no-fuss recipe for gluten-free carrot cake.
- 140g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 200g caster sugar
- 250g carrots, grated
- 140g sultanas
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 50g mixed nuts, chopped
For the icing
- 75g butter, softened
- 175g icing sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 900g/2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter and sugar until soft and creamy, then stir in the grated carrot and sultanas. Pour the eggs into the mix a little at a time.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and most of the chopped nuts and mix well. Tip the mix into the loaf tin, then bake for 50-55 mins or until a skewer poked in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 mins, then remove from the tin and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Beat the butter in a large bowl until it is really soft, add the icing sugar and cinnamon, then beat until thick and creamy. When the cake is cool, spread the icing on top, then sprinkle with a little more cinnamon and the remaining chopped nuts.
Food Fact: Carrot cake most likely descended from Medieval carrot pudding. During the middle ages sweeteners were scarce and expensive in Britain thus carrots were often used as sugar substitutes.
For more recipes visit www.bbcgoodfood.com