Almond Rolled Goats' Cheese
Cheese contains additional nutrients like zinc and biotin.
Cheese can help keep your teeth and bones strong.
In women, it can also offer some relief from PMS symptoms.
Watercress comes into season in April, when its peppery flavour will work in contrast to the rich goats’ cheese.
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the beetroot...
250g/10½oz fresh beetroot
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
75ml/3fl oz olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the goats' cheese...
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
200g/7oz soft goats' cheese
75g/3oz plain flour
200g/7oz flaked almonds
For the dressing...
200g/7oz fresh basil leaves
75g/3oz smoked almonds
1 Garlic clove
100g/3½oz parmesan cheese, or similar
vegetarian hard cheese
100ml/3½fl oz olive oil
Small handful watercress, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- For the beetroot, cut the beetroot into cubes and place into a bowl. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Place onto a baking tray and transfer to the oven to roast for 30-40 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove from the oven and place into a bowl. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and stir to coat.
- For the goats' cheese, half-fill a deep, heavy-bottomed pan with the oil and heat until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Cut the goats' cheese into eight equal pieces and roll up into balls. Dredge the balls in the flour.
- Spread the flaked almonds out on a plate and roll the cheese balls in the flaked almonds, pressing them into the cheese, to completely coat (don't worry if the almond flakes break up a bit) .
- Carefully add the cheese balls to the hot oil and deep-fry for about 30 seconds - one minute, or until golden-brown all over. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and drain onto kitchen paper.
- For the dressing, place the basil, smoked almonds, garlic, parmesan and olive oil into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To serve, place a small amount of watercress onto each plate and place a piece of deep fried goats' cheese on top. Place a few cubes of beetroot around the cheese and spoon over a little of the dressing.
For more information visit BBC Food