Mini Berry Tartlets
Berries top the charts in antioxidant power, protecting your body against inflammation and free radicals, molecules that can damage cells and organs.
Ingredients (16 servings):
225 ml Blackcurrent Cordial or Berry Cordial (diluted)
200 ml Double Cream (7 fl.oz)
25 g Icing Sugar (1 oz)
3 ¾ ml Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract (¾ tsp)
150 g Blueberries (5 oz)
175 g Raspberries (6 oz)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C Fan, Gas Mark 6). On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry thinly and cut out 16 x 8cm (3 ¼ inch) rounds,
re-rolling as necessary. Fit each circle of pastry into sixteen 6cm (2 ¼ inch) diameter, 2cm ( ¾ inch) deep tartlet tins.
2. Neaten the edges and place a baking case in the centre of each. Fill with baking beans or raw rice. Arrange the tins on a baking tray.
3. Bake for about 8 minutes until lightly golden round the edges. Carefully remove the beans or rice and paper. Prick the bottom of each case and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until the pastry is lightly golden and cooked through. Cool for 10 minutes before carefully slipping the pastry cases out of the tins. Put on a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For the topping, put the Arrowroot in a small saucepan and blend with a little of the fruit cordial to make a paste. Stir in the remaining cordial and gradually bring to the boil, stirring, until clear and thickened. Transfer to a heatproof jug and leave aside to cool.
5. When ready to serve, whip the cream until softly peaking. Sift the icing sugar on top and add the Vanilla Extract. Gently mix into the cream.
6. Spoon the vanilla cream into a piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle. Pipe a portion of cream into each tart case to just fill the centre, keeping the level just below the pastry edge.
7.Arrange blueberries and raspberries on top of the cream. Using a broad, soft bristled pastry brush gently brush a generous amount of the arrowroot topping on top to completely cover the berries and cream layer – the glaze will be sticky, so it is best to hold each tartlet over the jug as you brush the top.
8. Arrange the tartlets on a serving plate and serve with the remaining Arrowroot topping as an accompaniment.