Frog Pond Cupcakes
Ingredients (makes 12):
For the cake:
- 110g Butter (4oz)
- 110g Caster Sugar (4oz)
- Medium Eggs x 2
- 75g Self-Raising Flour (3oz, sieved)
- 3ml Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract (2-3 drops)
- 150g Icing Sugar (5oz)
- Dr. Oetker Sky Blue Gel Food Colour
- 125 g Dr. Oetker Regal-Ice Ready to Roll White (4 ½ oz)
- Dr. Oetker Lime Green Gel Food Colour
- 100 g Dr. Oetker Coloured Ready to Roll Regal-Ice (just the black Regal-Ice)
- Lime (A small chunk of angelica or frosted lime rind – see tip below)
- Dr. Oetker Baking Cases x 12
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the baking cases into a cupcake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the Vanilla Extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour with a spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the Baking Cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Mix a little water, icing sugar and a few drops of Sky Blue Gel Food Colour together to a smooth spreading icing. Spread over the cupcakes.
- For the frogs, cut off 15g (1/2oz) Regal Ice and wrap in cling film. Flatten the remaining Regal Ice a little and add a few drops of Lime Green Gel. Fold the Regal Ice over each other and gently knead together until the colour is mixed in. Repeat this colouring technique until the Regal Ice is a pretty pastel green shade.
- Divide the green icing into 12 portions and roll each piece into one marble sized ball of green icing to make the head plus 2 smaller balls of green icing to form the eyes and stick on top of the headd.
- Divide the reserved white Regal Ice into 48 pieces and roll half into small balls for the whites of the eyes and stick on the heads. Use tiny pieces of Black Coloured Regal Ice to the eye balls. Use a cocktail stick to make holes for the nose.
- For the flies, join 2 small balls of black icing to form the bodies and use the remaining white Regal Ice portions to flatten and attach as wings.
- Place the completed frog and fly onto the cupcake. To finish, cut fine strands of angelica and stand upright in the icing to create pond reeds. Alternatively, use pieces of frosted lime zest.