This focaccia recipe is easy to make and easy to adapt. Try adding herbs such as rosemary or thyme, or perhaps some chopped chilli.Cut it into generous wedges and serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping.
- Place the flour, salt, yeast, olive oil and 300ml/10½fl oz of the water into a large bowl. Gently stir with your hand or a wooden spoon to form a
dough then knead the dough in the bowl for five minutes,
gradually adding the remaining water.
- Stretch the dough by hand in the bowl, tuck the sides into the centre, turn the bowl 80 degrees and repeat the process for about five minutes.
- Tip the dough onto an oiled work surface and continue kneading for five
more minutes. Return the dough to the bowl, cover and leave to rise until
doubled in size. Technique: Kneading bread with oil
- Line two large baking sheets with baking paper. Tip the dough out of the bowl and divide into two portions. Flatten each portion onto a baking sheet, pushing to the corners, then leave to prove for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Drizzle the loaves with oil, sprinkle with fine sea salt then bake in the oven for 20 minutes. When cooked, drizzle with a little more olive oil and serve hot or warm.
Strong white bread flour
2 Tsp salt
dried easy blend yeast
2 Tbsp olive oil
400ml Cold water
Olive oil, for drizzling
Fine sea salt
For more information visit BBC Food