Coconut Chocolate Bars
Make your own home made chocolate bars with this delicious recipe!
Ingredients (makes 14 slices ):
100 g Lightly Salted Butter (3 ½ oz) softened
50 g Caster Sugar (2 oz)
115 g Plain Flour (4 oz)
15 g Cocoa Powder (½ oz)
100 g Caster Sugar (3 ½ oz)
150 g Desiccated Coconut (5 oz) unsweetened
5 ml Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract with Seeds (1 tsp)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4). Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) square cake tin with baking parchment.
2.Put the butter in a bowl and whisk in the sugar until pale and creamy. Sift the flour and cocoa on top and mix well to make a short, crumbly dough.
3. Press the mixture evenly into the tin to cover the base, using the back of spoon. Prick all over with a fork and bake for 15 minutes then set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 140°C (120°C Fan, Gas Mark 1).
4. Make up the Egg White Powder as directed on the pack, and whisk until stiff. Gradually whisk in the sugar to make a glossy meringue. Gently fold in the coconut and Vanilla Extract.
5. Pile the coconut meringue on top of the chocolate base and smooth the top. Bake for about 25 minutes until lightly golden and crusty on top. Leave to cool in the tin.
6. Break the Milk Chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl. Put the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and leave to melt. Remove from the water.
7. Scrape the melted Chocolate out of the bowl using a spatula on to the coconut. Spread the Chocolate to the edge of the tin and tap the tin gently on the work surface to smooth the Chocolate. Leave to cool.
8. Just before the Chocolate sets hard, gently score the top using a knife to make 14 bars – this will make the slices easier to cut up when completely cold.
9. To serve, carefully cut right through the scored Chocolate and lift out the slices to serve.