Cheeseburger & Chips
Homemade burgers and chips beat shop-bought every time. Celebrate #RWC2015 with a tasty and easy supper
- 1¼kg lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 140g breadcrumbs
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with a fork
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2½ kg bag of potatoes, cut into chunky chips
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 10 tsp olive or sunflower oil
- burger buns, lettuce, sliced red onion, tomatoes, gherkins, and sauces or relishes, to serve
- Tip the mince into a large bowl with the onion, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, egg, chilli powder, ½ tsp salt and some pepper. Mix together well with your hands, then divide the mixture into 10 and shape into burgers.
- Bring 2 large saucepans of water to the boil (or prepare the chips in batches if you don’t have enough big pans). Add the chips, bring the water back to the boil and set your timer for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, drain the potatoes well and tip onto one or two large kitchen-papercovered trays. Scatter with the flour and some seasoning and gently toss to coat.
- Freeze the burgers and chips (see freezing tips, below) or, to cook straight away, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. In a baking tray, toss the chips in a little oil, then roast for 35-40 mins until crisp and golden. Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan, grill or barbecue until hot, then cook the burgers for about 5-8 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Sandwich the burgers in toasted buns with salad and sauces, then serve with the chips.
For more recipes visit www.bbcgoodfood.com