Carrie and David Grant's Rainbow Cake
Ingredients (serves 12):
For the cake...
170g of Caster sugar
170g of Butter
3 Medium eggs
170g of Self-raising flour
Food colourings (I find the most
For the icing...
280g of icing sugar
225g of butter
Preheat your oven to 180C/Gas 4.You will need a 450g loaf tin that has been greased/lined (or 12 standard-sized fairy-cake cases).
To make the cake:
- Beat the caster sugar and butter together using a wooden spoon.
- Gently whisk the eggs and slowly add them to the sugar and butter.
- Gradually sift in the flour and slowly stir with a metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture evenly into a number of bowls (the number of bowls dependant on the number of colours you want in your rainbow cake).
- Add a few drops of food colouring into each bowl of cake mixture, a different colour for each one, and stir well.
- Place your mixture into a lined/greased loaf tin, coloured section by coloured section. Alternatively, place your mixtures into fairy-cake cases.
- Place your loaf tin in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. If making fairy cakes, bake for 15 minutes.
To make the icing:
- Beat the icing sugar, butter and vanilla essence together.
- Separate the icing mix into a number of small bowls (the number of bowls dependant on the number of icing colours you want).
- Add a few drops of food colouring into each bowl of icing mix, a different colour for each one, and stir well.
- Once your cake (or fairy cakes) has cooled, spread icing on cake, in a pattern of your choice.
Let’s Cook Together is available to buy from our online shop, priced at £4.95.