Parties in Cornwall
A child’s birthday party.
Just the mention of those few words may either bring you out in an icy cold sweat thinking about the additional responsibility of entertaining a roomful of children, or fill you with joyous excitement as you picture your child’s face radiating with pure happiness.
Most likely you’ll feel a combination of the two.
Forethought and planning will go a long way into settling any pre-party nerves and multiple checklists will ensure that nothing is forgotten and no-one is left out.
We’ve interspersed a few checklists throughout this party guide to help you along the way and we’ve added details about some of the best party venues and entertainers in the area.
Just remember to book your favourites early on as the best attractions and entertainers tend to get booked up quickly!
Party Checklist: For parties at home
- Decide on the timings and date of the party
- Decide on how many children you can comfortably accommodate in your house
- Send out the invitations
- Sort out the entertainment if it’s required. Book the entertainer, face painter, bouncy castle
- Plan in the fun factor or create a theme
- Sort out a music playing device
- Select party games for the children to play
- Source decorations, party tableware, balloons and party hats
- Purchase the food and drink
- Get the birthday cake
Party Checklist: For parties at a venue
- Sort out party numbers
- Create a small list of your child’s favourite party venues in preferential order
- Check the availability of the venues and if there are any special deals
- Book a date and time with the venue. Pay the deposit
- Get the name and telephone number of the main party organiser at the venue
- Get the party invitations from the venue and send them out
- Sort out the food with the venue and establish whether a birthday cake is supplied
- Confirm numbers with the venue prior to the day
Party game ideas
Traditional party games always go down a treat. Here’s a list of some of the most classic children’s games:
- Pass the Parcel
- Musical Statues
- Musical Bumps
- Musical Chairs
- Chinese Whispers
- Blind Man’s Donkey
- Animal Charades
- Treasure Hunt
And here are a few new party game ideas –
- The Tray Game
- Dead Ants
- Doughnuts on a String
- Marsh-mallow Bobbing
- Piñata Games
Remember to stock up on prizes to award to the winning children.
Party food ideas
- The birthday cake!
- A choice of sandwiches with simple fillings such as plain ham, cheese and tuna. Mix some salad leaves into some of the sandwiches – if the children don’t like it they can always take out the salad! Think about supplying some healthy options which are visually appealing and tasty.
- Chopped up vegetables such as carrots, mangetout, peppers, cucumber with cream cheese or houmous for dips
- Cheese straws
- Potato wedges
- Pizza slices
- Mini sausages and sausage rolls
- Cheese and pineapple on sticks (or uncooked sticks of spaghetti)
- Crisps and popcorn
- Chopped fruit
- Mini-sponge cakes
- Jelly Boats made from scooped out and quartered oranges. (Halve an orange, scoop out the fruit, fill it with jelly. Once set, cut into quarters)
- Drinks: Either orange and blackcurrant squash, fruit water, fruit juice, milkshakes or plain water
Party bag ideas
- Books or small colouring-in books
- Glitter Tattoos
- Small packs of pencils
- Small bag of sweets
- Finger puppets
- A paper glider
- Decorate your own paper party bag
- Cake Pops
- A piece of birthday cake or a cup cake
Party politics - Invitation RSVP etiquette
For the party hosts
- Hand out the invites in plenty of time, ideally about 3 weeks before the party date.
- Include detailed information on the invitation such as the date, the start and finish times, the venue’s full address and postcode, and the name, email address and number for them to RSVP.
- Include a RSVP date to help you confirm final numbers prior to the day. You may wish to use words to the effect of: ‘As the venue requires final numbers prior to the party we would appreciate confirmation of your child’s attendance by (add RSVP date). If we do not hear from you by this date we will assume that your child is unable to attend’.
- As a second measure, about a week beforehand, you may wish to politely chase up parents who have not as yet RSVP’d.
For the guests
- RSVP as soon as you can, whether your child can make it or not.
- If something happens on the day of the party, and your child can no longer attend, let your hosts know ASAP.
- If you are running late, or need to leave early then let the hosts know in advance.
- If you have not RSVP’d then don’t just turn up uninvited.
Don’t forget items!
- Candles for the cake
- Candle holders
- Cake knife
- You may wish to include party bags for unexpected additional guests or young siblings
- Printable directions, including the postcode of the party venue
Here are some details about party providers and entertainers close to you:
Tel: 01726 815553
Kidzworld, the award winning children’s play centre, is an ideal venue for children’s birthday parties. Children of all ages can enjoy the indoor and outdoor play including slides, ball pools, mini golf, dodgems and, for the more adventurous, the exciting Skytrail. For older children there are laser tag parties, where the party children get exclusive use of the indoor play area which they use as the battle arena, using completely safe laser guns to outwit and defeat each other.
The Party People
Tel: 01208 851733
The Party People are award winning local entertainers ‘Timbo’ and Dianne, who are dedicated to providing first class children’s entertainment throughout Cornwall and Devon. They offer a 2 hour package which makes for a stress free party with entertainment taking place from start to finish. They offer magic shows tailored to the age range of the party group which evoke a real pantomime atmosphere. Also provided is a mini disco, a party game involving all of the children all of the time, tattoo painting, balloon modelling and party dance fun with the ‘Funny Bunny’. There are no limitations to the maximum number of children invited.
Tel: 01736 850209
Country Skittles in Townshend, near Hayle, is a great fun choice for your child’s birthday party. There is an excellent birthday package available in the afternoons suitable for younger children. The package includes: a 30 minute session of bowling in the skittle alleys, a choice of main course (including the ever-popular beef or chicken burgers and chips), a delicious ice-cream, a soft drink, and a choice of crazy golf or time in the shooting gallery (The shooting option is height-restricted, and subject to availability). Parties cost just £10.50 per head, providing excellent value for money. The minimum number of children is 6.
Tel: 01326 377008
Swamp Circus create shows and training projects for events of all sizes. Whether you have a festival, arts event, wedding or community party Swamp Circus can provide performers and productions, and even fully equipped big tops, tailored to meet specific requirements. Artistes encompass the whole range of circus skills including: clown, mine, statue, juggling, diabolo and stilt walking. Exceptionally talented aerial and fire artists are also ready to add a touch of drama to any event. Swamp Circus started in the 1980s as a collective of acrobats, clowns and performers looking to bring smiles to faces of all generations. As a registered charity one hundred percent of profits go directly to run its educational circus school, Circo Kernow.
Tel: 01637 852890
Let your little monkeys run wild, have a blast and burn off some energy at Jungle Jack's soft play centre. The purpose-built play-frame provides over 1,700 square feet of fun including challenging climbs, a rope bridge, an astra-glide slide, crafty crawl tubes and peekaboo bubble windows. Daredevils will love the super-fast racing slide and spiral tube. A party package is also available to suit everyone. This includes 90 minutes of soft play followed by 30 minutes of party room fun. There is a Jungle Tree-House party room for hire which is an exclusive area over-looking the play centre. Hot and cold party buffet, unlimited squash and ice cream is served up, and when it’s cake time, the birthday child might even get a visit from Jungle Jack!
Kernow Party Karts
Tel 07794 053996
Kernow Party Karts offer an exciting range of mobile party entertainment for children of all ages with Go-Karts, Laser Tag and a variety of inflatable attractions, and will go to a venue near you in Cornwall. Its range of Laser Tag arenas suit children aged 6 years+ to adults – so mum and dad can join in too! Be thrilled by Go-Kart racing or try to be the Last One Standing on Wipeout. A range of drop-and-leave party options are available too, which can help to lower the price. These include, new for 2016, an Inflatable Toddler Playzone. See the website for further details.
Raze The Roof
Tel: 01326 377481
Raze The Roof will make celebrating your child’s birthday lots of fun! With so many party options available your child is sure to find the perfect one for them. Mega Play frame parties cost £10.95 per child and include help from a fantastic party host, your choice of three themed party rooms, hot or cold food, unlimited juice, ice lollies and tons of soft play fun. Add Laser Storm for even more fun times. Ask about the Toddler Parties for the under 5’s or the Big Space parties which are perfect for the bigger kids.
Mark’s Ark Wildlife Encounters
Tel: 01736 333293 or 07761 810900
Mark with his wealth of knowledge and experience, enthuses about his animals like no other! Mark's Ark Animal Parties have been a firm favourite with many children and adults throughout Cornwall and Devon for many years. Hour-long shows which are entertaining, fun and fact-filled are second-to-none. Scary spiders, beastly bugs, scaly reptiles and magical birds of prey make for a very memorable experience. Mark is able to visit your home or a venue of your choice. Reasonably priced and fully insured – call for a no-obligation quotation.
Tel: 01208 850382
Go Party at Hengar Manor is a fantastic way to spend a birthday. Choose from a range of instructor led activities, with an added swim included to enjoy a stress free party. Sessions start from £7 and can include swimming, Waterwalkerz, archery, fencing and pirates’ paradise. Instructors are dedicated and experienced activity leaders and are on hand to make the birthday party special. Food is provided in a comfortable leisure bar to finish off the perfect party. Hengar Manor’s friendly team will serve all the food and drinks and will run all the activities. The activities are suitable for youngsters aged 3 years+ and adult parties are also available.
Tel: 01736 753365
Paradise Park offers a choice of four themed party rooms with the birthday child’s name displayed on the door. Party packages include fun and healthy party food, free printed invitations and all the fun of Paradise Park and unlimited play in the JungleBarn indoor play zone. When the sun is shining try some outdoor adventure play in Paradise Island. Party guests will receive free entry into Paradise Park during normal opening hours. Two supervising adults are admitted free with each party, and there is a discounted price for any other adults attending.
Jules the Children's Entertainer
Tel: 07779 306497
As seen on TV, the amazing Jules the Children's Entertainer, can create a magical birthday party or children's show. Jules, a fantastic ventriloquist, with characters including Monkey and Oswald the chicken, provides enthralling entertainment for children of all ages including teenagers. Shows include silly interactive magic where the children become the magicians and there may be a guest appearance from Monty Moose. Parties can include a disco with flashing lights, party dances, plus competitions and games for older children. Jules will make the birthday child feel like a celebrity. Jules works as a children's entertainer at many of the prestigious hotels, holiday parks and schools in Cornwall and Devon.
Tel: 01209 219555
Bombadingas and Skullduggery caters for children’s and adults parties. Soft play parties for children aged 1 to 9 include: invites, hot or cold food, unlimited jugs of juice, jelly and ice-cream, a party host, a designated party area, a visit from Captain Bombadinga, complimentary tea or coffee for the party organisers and a return pass for the birthday child.
Skullduggery Laser Tag is for the over 7's and adults and includes: invites, 2 x 20 minute laser tag sessions, score cards, hot food, unlimited jugs of juice, a party host and a designated party area, with options to add a glow package, extra games and ice-cream. Adult evening bookings are now available.
Tempus Leisure has leisure centres all over Cornwall and is able to offer a fabulous party for your child at an affordable price. A variety of great fun party options are available across the leisure centres including bouncy castle, swimming, various sports parties and Nerf dart tag.
Tel: 07775 446 254
Stuck for birthday party ideas? Then let Molly Music bring its unique combination of laughter, play, music and fun to make it a really special birthday! Molly Music can provide a structure of activities using music, dancing, singing and action songs to keep your young guests fully entertained. Bubble-time fun and parachute play (space permitting) can also be incorporated. Molly Music is even happy to include traditional party games to add more variety – and to keep little ones busy! Molly Music uses a choice of high quality musical instruments to suit age groups together with exciting props to capture their attention.